It’s always kinda bothered me that one can’t edit tweets on Twitter.
Naturally, my React-on-Rails portfolio project is yet another little Twitter clone (called Butter Emails). I spent almost as much time on implementing the edit/update actions as I did on everything else. I almost left it for version 2, but the completionist in me just couldn’t it it go (it’s C-R-U-D not C-R-D!) So, I’m disproportionately proud of that.
Completing this was kind of a big deal for me. I had been away from the curriculum for a few months. I found the courage to face this project (and the lab/lesson immediately preceding it) by starting from scratch. After completing the JS and jQuery sections in Codecademy, and faithfully following along with Watch & Code (which, literally changed my life!) I finally started to feel comfortable enough to think in JS.
This Rails portfolio project borrows the theme from my Sinatra project, but is rebuilt from scratch to have nested resources, more complex relationships, and more features. My Sinatra project was only for CRUDing starships. This project has two models (Crew and Ships) that have a bi-directional has_many_through association via Assignments, which acts as the join table, and can be thought of as one particular crew person’s role on one particular ship. This schema gives us easy access to listing all the crew member’s assigned to a ship, or where are crew member is currently assigned. Sounds so reasonable!
For my Sinatra portfolio project, I made an app for the various ficticious intelligence agencies in the Star Trek universe, based on the database they often use, called LCARS (Library Computer Access/Retrieval System).